Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. As much as I love fruit and smoothie bowls, savory breakfasts are actually what I prefer.
I used to love making breakfast tacos with scrambled eggs. Now I just replace the eggs with tofu. The great thing about tofu is that it can imitate so many textures and flavors, making it a good egg replacement.
I recommend buying extra firm tofu and using a few paper towels to dry the tofu before using it.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 4-6 tacos, depending on how big your tortillas are)
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu
- 1 cup mushrooms (whatever kind you like)
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white onion
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Handful of spinach for each taco
I also used this chili spice from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have this spice or don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, you could just use 1 tbsp of chili powder and a squirt of juice from a lime.
- The rice will take the longest to cook, so begin with that.
- Use a paper towel and pat the tofu, absorbing as much water as possible. You may need a few paper towels.
- Put tofu in a separate frying pan or skillet and use a spatula to crumble the tofu. On medium heat, begin sauteing the tofu. I just use a little water but feel free to use oil if you’d like.
- Keep an eye on the rice. When it’s done, set it aside.
- Combine all spices and sprinkle on top of tofu. Use the spatula to flip tofu and evenly coat the spices.
- Chop onions, mushrooms and tomatoes. After the tofu has been cooking for about 5 minutes, add them to the pan.
- Drain and rinse pinto beans and corn. Add to pan and use spatula to mix into the scramble.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Saute until everything is thoroughly cooked. Add rice and mix into scramble now, as well.
- Build your taco. I put spinach on the bottom, then my tofu scramble and then I topped it with nutritional yeast, hot sauce and avocado.
This is a simple recipe and you can feel free to add or omit whatever you’d like. If you don’t like tofu, add tempeh or seitan instead. I just like tofu because, again, it kind of imitates eggs and it’s perfect for a breakfast taco.