Potatoes are definitely one of the world’s most misunderstood foods. I’ve heard SO MANY people say that potatoes make you fat or say they refuse to eat potatoes because they contain a lot of carbohydrates.
Repeat: Carbs. Do. Not. Make. You. Fat.
Processed foods full of saturated fat, refined sugar or tons of sodium are what you should avoid- not whole starches and grains like potatoes or brown rice.
And guess what? Potatoes are naturally fat-free!
Potatoes CAN be unhealthy and fattening ***IF*** you top them with things like sour cream, cheese, meat, etc.
However, another major culprit is oil.
I, personally, try to avoid oil because it’s highly processed and is literally just empty calories. The only macro nutrient it contains is fat, meaning it doesn’t contain any carbohydrates or protein at all.
I’m less strict about eating oil when I’m eating out with friends (and when I’m hungover AF and want greasy fries), but I do not cook with it at home.
I’ve noticed that people are afraid to cook without oil because they’re so accustomed to using it and they don’t know how to cook without it. It’s actually pretty simple.
Here’s the recipe to my favorite oil-free fries:
- Potatoes lol (Use whatever kind you like. I prefer Yukon Gold Potatoes for fries)
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Rinse potatoes and cut potatoes into thin strips.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Parchment paper is great for fries because it’s non-stick.
- Put fries in a large mixing bowl and dump all spices into bowl. Toss until spices are evenly coated on fries.
- Line baking sheet with fries.
- Put in oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip fries and bake for another 10 minutes or until nice and crispy.
Hope you enjoy these fries! I could eat them literally every day for the rest of my life 🙂