According to Forbes, 600 million chickens were slaughtered for the Super Bowl last year so Americans could enjoy some wings while watching the game. Yikes…
I made a couple appetizers today that are cruelty free and healthier than chicken wings.
Tofu, one of the most versatile foods, is also one of the most misunderstood foods. People are so quick to dismiss tofu but I love it because you can literally make it taste like anything- including chicken wings.
Here’s a recipe for some bomb crispy BBQ tofu nuggets + sesame pretzel bites- perfect appetizers for any social gathering.
If you want to make both at the same time, start with the pretzel bites because after you make the dough, you will have to let it sit for at least an hour.
SESAME PRETZEL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp dry active yeast
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Grab 2 bowls. In one bowl, mix 1/4 cup of water with the yeast and maple syrup. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. In the other bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Once the yeast has completely dissolved in the water, mix it with the dry ingredients.
- Stir all of the ingredients. Add another 1/4 cup of water while stirring. Knead the dough into a ball and let it sit for at least one hour. I let my sit for a few hours while I ran some errands.
- After the dough has risen, begin boiling a pot of water on the stove. Get a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper and set aside. ALSO- preheat oven to 350°.
- Knead the dough and punch it (literally) until it is firm. Break the dough up into small bite sized pieces.
- Put the dough balls in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Once you take them out of the water, put them on baking sheet. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes, keeping an eye on them frequently. Pull them out once they begin to brown. I like mine doughy and extra soft so I took mine out pretty quick. If you want them to be crispier on the outside, wait until they have browned all around.
- Serve with mustard or whatever sauce you like!
BBQ TOFU INGREDIENTS:
- Extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup plant based milk (I used soy)
- 1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- Your choice of BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, paprika and garlic powder. In another bowl, mix milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Use a few paper towels to soak up water from tofu. Cut the tofu into little nugget shapes. I used half a block of tofu to make about 14 nuggets.
- Dip a single piece of tofu into the milk and cover it completely, then dip the tofu into the flour mixture coating the entire piece. Place on baking sheet. Repeat this process until all tofu pieces are battered on the baking sheet.
- Put in oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the pieces of tofu and put back in oven for another 10 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking, put about 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce in a clean bowl.
- Check on the tofu. If it still isn’t crispy, let it bake longer. Just make sure to keep an eye on it.
- Once it’s crispy, use tongs (if you have them) to dip each piece of tofu into the BBQ sauce and coat each side. Place back on baking sheet and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with your favorite sauce. I used vegan mayo + Sriracha mixed together.
Hope you enjoy these recipes. It’s a great idea to bring yummy snacks like this to social events because it’s a good opportunity to show people that vegans eat good food too. There’s a possibility that someone will taste your food and become interested in the vegan lifestyle once they realize that we eat more than just lettuce.