I’ve worked at a couple bagel and coffee shops and lox bagels, or smoked salmon bagels, are extremely popular sandwiches. Traditionally, a lox bagel consists of smoked salmon, cream cheese, tomato, red onion and capers. People go WILD over this sandwich and I’ll admit that I liked it too before going vegan.
I’ve seen this veganized sandwich on social media lately where the “lox” is made out of CARROTS. I was pretty hesitant at first because I was sure that there is no way in hell you can make carrots taste like salmon.
Well, I was wrong.
I was inspired by this recipe from Sweet Simple Vegan, but I did change some things and make my own recipe out of it.
INGREDIENTS: [makes 4 sandwiches]
- 4 large carrots
- 2 tsp kelp seasoning (This is important! You can find it at Whole Foods in the Asian cuisine section)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (If you don’t have liquid smoke, I wouldn’t stress about it. It does give the “lox” a nice flavor but it isn’t imperative to the recipe)
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- Vegan cream cheese (I enjoy Kite Hill)
- Fresh dill
- Capers (I don’t like capers so I didn’t use them. Feel free to omit if you don’t like them either)
- Bagels – here’s a recipe for my homemade everything bagels
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Peel carrots into thin slices. Once they are all sliced, place in a bowl.
- Mix in kelp seasoning, liquid smoke and soy sauce with the carrots. Toss generously. Make sure to evenly disperse to coat all of the carrot slices.
- Put parchment paper on a baking sheet and pour the carrots onto the sheet, spreading them out nicely.
- Put in oven for 5 minutes. Keep a careful eye on them. I accidentally left them in for 10 minutes and they were completely burnt and I had to start over.
- While they’re in the oven, cut tomato and onion slices to put on top of your carrot lox.
- Take the carrot lox out of the oven and let cool for a couple minutes.
- Build your sandwich. I like to put cream cheese on BOTH sides of the bagel and then add the lox, tomato, onion and dill (and capers if you are using them).