Before going vegan, broccoli cheddar soup was one of my favorite comfort foods. I loved how the creamy cheese complimented the chunks of broccoli so well.
I decided to try my own vegan version. It’s actually pretty easy and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
- 3 golden potatoes
- 1/2 block of Daiya Medium Cheddar Style cheese (OPTIONAL) If you don’t want to use vegan cheese for whatever reason, you can omit it and use 1 cup of nutritional yeast instead.
- 2 cups of plant based milk (I used soy milk)
- 3 cups of broccoli
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- Dash of salt & pepper
- Dice the potatoes and broccoli into small chunks. You will be putting them in a blender later so make sure the chunks are small enough to fit in your blender (or food processor).
- You will need two separate pots. Heat them both on the stove. In one pot, begin boiling water. Once it is boiling, add the diced potatoes and broccoli. In the other pot on medium heat, add the soy milk, Daiya cheese and nutritional yeast. Stir frequently.
- Once the brocolli and potatoes are soft and fully cooked, strain them and put in blender or food processor. Add vegetable stock and blend 10 seconds. Don’t over-blend! You want the mixture to be somewhat chunky.
- Add the broccoli and potato mixture into the soy milk and Daiya cheese pot and begin stirring everything together. Salt and pepper to taste. Add more nutritional yeast if needed.
This is a simple recipe and definitely feel free to add any other spices to your liking.