I haven’t had pesto in FOREVER because it seems as if most pesto made in restaurants or sold in grocery stores contains cheese.
I was craving pesto yesterday and decided to try to make my own.
I was inspired by Montana Danna’s stuffed shell recipe, but I did change it quite a bit.
This recipe is SUPER easy and will only take about 15-20 minutes.
- 2 cups of basil
- 1 cup of cashews
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cups of water (use more or less depending on how creamy you want it)
- Medium shelled pasta
- Marinara sauce
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Throw in your shells when the water begins boiling. These will take about 10 minutes to cook so keep an eye on them.
- Use a blender or food processor to blend all of the pesto ingredients. Add the ingredients first, then water. Begin blending until the consistency is what you want it to be.
- Once the shells are cooked, strain them and let them dry for a few minutes.
- Use a spoon to fill the shells with pesto.
- Top with marinara sauce and serve.
This recipe is so simple, but so so good.
I definitely want to experiment with pesto some more and find some new recipes to try out. If you have any vegan pesto recipes or ideas, feel free to comment and let me know 🙂