I’ve been so obsessed with kimchi lately. I love the texture and how versatile the flavor can be.
I was searching for kimchi recipes on YouTube when I came across Mommy Tang’s recent kimchi pancakes recipe video. You can watch it here. I followed her recipe pretty closely but I did change a few things. I had troubles making “pancakes”, so instead I made scrambled “eggs”.
Here is the simple recipe:
- Vegan Kimchi. You can make your own or purchase pre-made kimchi. I purchased Mother-In-Law’s Vegan Kimchi at Whole Foods ($7.99)
- 1 cup of flour (you can use whatever type of flour you prefer)
- Diced scallions
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1-2 cups of water (more or less depending on how much kimchi you use)
- 1/4 cup of jalepeno juice (optional)
- In a mixing bowl add your preferred amount of kimchi. I used 1/3 of the Mother-In-Law’s jar. Mix in the flour, scallions & sesame seeds.
- Add the water (and jalepeno juice) and begin stirring. If it is too watery, add a little more flour (if it’s too dry, add more water). Stir until the mixture is creamy and consistent.
- In a non-stick skillet, add the kimchi mixture. Almost immediately the mixture will act like an egg and begin to cook. Use a spatula to flip the mixture and separate the mixture as if you are cooking a scrambled egg. Cook until it has the consistency and texture of scrambled eggs, which will take about 7-10 minutes with frequent flipping.
- Serve over rice. The kimchi tastes really good with a bit of soy sauce or Sriracha
Enjoy! This is seriously one of the best things I’ve made in a while.